Single Doctoral-Level Psychology Courses
At CalSouthern, students may enroll in a course at the doctoral level without committing to a degree program. It’s a great option for students who want to:
- Get a feel for online learning at CalSouthern before pursuing a doctoral degree
- Earn credits that can be applied toward a doctorate at CalSouthern or another institution*
- Gain knowledge and expertise at the highest academic level in a topic of particular interest
Choose any of the doctoral courses from the CalSouthern’s School of Psychology. You’ll find a vast selection of subjects available, on topics as diverse as addiction, human sexuality, trauma, sports psychology, domestic violence and neuroscience.
Getting started is a quick and simple process. No entrance exams are required and you don’t have to provide official transcripts. A master’s degree is not required to take doctoral-level courses. (However, if you wish to commit to CalSouthern’s Doctor of Psychology program, a master’s degree is a prerequisite.) Courses start every month; you’ll never encounter a closed course or waiting list!
*Although credits from regionally accredited institutions like CalSouthern are readily accepted by other universities, acceptance is at the discretion of the receiving institution.
PSY 87509 Advanced Psychology of Marriage and Family Systems
This advanced course in marriage and family systems prepares learners to conduct psychotherapy with individuals, couples and families from a family systems approach that utilizes a depth or awareness model to change behavior. Learners explore general principles of family functioning and learn specific applications of systems theory and therapy through the analysis of case material and case reports.Learning Outcomes:
- Evaluate course concepts critically and competently through interaction with Learners and Faculty Mentor
- Integrate course concepts through the use of the Taylor Study Method
- Analyze your own cultural background
- Compare and contrast issues and practices relevant to helping people from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Assess processes and issues related to clients of various ethnic & cultural origins
- Identify patterns of racial and ethnic adaptation
- Analyze the global expansion of racism
- Analyze and evaluate information critically and effectively
- Evaluate and incorporate emerging relevant technologies applicable to the field of psychology
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in regard to emerging relevant technologies applicable to psychology