Single Master’s-Level Psychology Courses
At CalSouthern, students are permitted to enroll in a course at the master’s level without committing to a particular degree program. It’s a great option for students who want to:
- Get a feel for online learning at CalSouthern before pursuing a master’s degree
- Earn credits that can be applied toward a master’s degree at CalSouthern or another institution*
- Gain master’s-level knowledge and expertise in a topic of interest
Choose any master’s-level course offered by CalSouthern’s School of Psychology. You’ll find a vast selection of subjects available, on topics as diverse as addiction, human sexuality, organizational psychology, marriage and family therapy and psychopathology.
Getting started is a quick and simple process. No entrance exams are required and you don’t have to provide official transcripts. A bachelor’s degree is not required to take master’s-level courses. (However, if you wish to enroll in a master’s-level degree program, a bachelor’s degree is a prerequisite.) Courses start every month; you’ll never encounter a closed course or waiting list!
*Although credits from regionally accredited institutions like CalSouthern are readily accepted by other universities, acceptance is at the discretion of the receiving institution.
PSY 87519 Psychology of Trauma
This course examines theoretical as well as clinical and research issues surrounding trauma and stress-related disorders, with emphasis on the identification and treatment of complex trauma. Co-occurring disorders will be explored, including etiology, psychotherapeutic interventions, and pharmacological treatment.Learning Outcomes:
- Evaluate course concepts critically and competently through interaction with Learners, Faculty Mentor, or Master Lecturers
- Integrate course concepts through the use of the Taylor Study Method
- Define and examine the diagnostic criteria for trauma related disorders
- Construct evidence based treatment plans for trauma and co-occurring disorders
- Consider cultural and legal/ethical issues relevant to trauma related disorders
- Analyze the physiological and neurocognitive aspects of trauma
- Integrate research on trauma related disorders to clinical practice
- Evaluate and incorporate emerging relevant technologies applicable to the field of psychology
- Analyze and evaluate information critically and effectively
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in regard to information and information technology