Certificate in Financial Management Courses
CalSouthern’s Certificate in Financial Management is an 18-credit program, comprised of the following six required courses:
FIN 87514 Financial Institutions
This course takes an innovative approach in focusing on managing return and risk in financial institutions such as commercial banks, savings and loan associations, investment banks and insurance companies. The central theme involves examining the risks facing financial institutions and the methods and markets through which these risks are managed.Learning Outcomes:
- Evaluate course concepts critically and competently through interaction with Learners and Faculty Mentor.
- Analyze the special role of FIs in the financial system and the functions they provide.
- Illustrate the activities of Securities Firms and Investment Banks.
- Assess the risks associated with financial intermediation.
- Analyze the different types of loans and the measurement of credit risk.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the risks associated with off-balance-sheet risk, foreign exchange risk, and sovereign risk.
- Integrate understanding of operational risk, liquidity risk, and liability and liquidity management.
- Evaluate methods of hedging interest rate risk
- Explore the role of securitization and its effect on the risk-return trade off.
- Demonstrate your overall comprehension of the course relative to a broad-based evaluation of your understanding of the concepts and constructs.