Consumer Information Disclosure Form
- Name of Institution: California Southern University
- Address: 3330 Harbor Blvd, Costa Mesa, California 92626
- Year Founded: 1978
- First Accredited: 2015*
- Accreditation Expires: 2021
- President: Dr. Glenn Roquemore
* Previously accredited by Distance Education Accrediting Commission.
Accreditation(s) and Agency E-mail Contact Information
CalSouthern is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission, one of the premiere accrediting agencies for educational institutions in the western United States. On July 9, 2020, California Southern University received the Action Letter from WSCUC reaffirming the University and our continued status as a regionally accredited institution. The full WSCUC Action Letter and related documents can be viewed on the California Southern University page of the WSCUC website found here.
WASC Senior College and University Commission
985 Atlantic Avenue, #100, Alameda, CA 94501
Phone: (510) 748-9001 | www.wscuc.org
The WSCUC link above provides information about Commission actions, programs, personnel, and upcoming reviews of California Southern University.
State Approval and E-mail Contact Information
Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE)
California Southern University is a private university approved to operate by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. The University was founded in 1978, licensed under the name Southern California University for Professional Studies (SCUPS), and has been continuously approved by the State of California to offer undergraduate and graduate level degrees and certificates. Any questions a learner may have which have not been satisfactorily answered by the institution may be directed to:
Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
2535 Capital Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: (888) 370‑7589 | Fax: (916) 263‑1897 | www.bppe.ca.gov
As a prospective student, you are encouraged to review this catalog prior to signing an enrollment agreement. You are also encouraged to review the School Performance Fact Sheet, which must be provided to you prior to signing an enrollment agreement.
Participation in Funding Programs
VA Benefits include Vocational Rehabilitation and the G.I. Bill®
United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Call: MyVA311 / (844) 698-2311
Institution Mission Statement
California Southern University is a global online institution. We prepare learners to succeed in a world that we have yet to imagine. We do this through active learning, respective diversity and promoting intellectual freedom.
Institutional Learning Outcomes
During the course of study at California Southern University, each learner is expected to:
- Apply specific subject matter in a chosen field of study that leads to personal and professional development;
- Utilize a variety of information accurately and appropriately;
- Effectively communicate in writing across settings, purposes, and audiences;
- Effectively communicate orally, demonstrating well-organized thoughts, ideas, and opinions in a coherent presentation;
- Apply the use of logic, numbers and/or mathematics to a scientific system of inquiry from which to draw logical conclusions;
- Make informed decisions that meet professional standards of ethical and legal behavior;
- Exercise critical thinking and reasoning in judgment, decision making and problem solving.
- Integrate awareness of cultural diversity issues in a global society.
Areas of Special Focus
- Behavioral Sciences
- Business and Management
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
Description of Institution
California Southern University was founded in 1978 and is a private university offering associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees as well as pre-baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate certificate programs utilizing online learning methodologies.
Learner Demographic Profile
The majority of learners are typically aged between their 30s and 60s. The learner body is approximately 64% female, 34% male, and 3% not stated.
- Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies (AALS)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (BA)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS)
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice (BSCJ)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master in Education (M.Ed)
- Master of Laws (LLM)*
- Master of Science in Dispute Resolution (MSDR)*
- Master of Science in Law (MSL)*
- Master of Science in Law Enforcement Executive Leadership (MSLEEL)
- Master of Arts in Psychology (MA)
- Master of Science in Psychology (MS)
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Juris Doctor (JD)*
- Doctor of Psychology (PsyD)
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
Undergraduate Certificate Programs (General)
- Certificate in Accounting and Finance (CBAF)
- Certificate in Addiction Studies (CPAS)
- Certificate in Business Administration and Management (CBBAM)
- Certificate in Business Administration, Management, and Operations (CBBAMO)
- Certificate in Business Managerial Economics (CBBME)
- Certificate in Human Resources Management and Personnel Administration (CBHRMPA)
- Certificate in Human Resources Management and Services (CBHRMS)
- Certificate in Leadership (CBL)
- Certificate in Marketing Management (CBMM)
Undergraduate Certificate Programs (Professional Development)
- Professional Development Certificate in Accounting (PDCA)
- Professional Development Certificate in Business (PDCB)
- Professional Development Certificate in Entrepreneurship (PDCE)
- Professional Development Certificate in Finance (PDCF)
- Professional Development Certificate in Human Resources (PDCHR)
- Professional Development Certificate in Leadership (PDCL)
- Professional Development Certificate in Management (PDCM)
- Professional Development Certificate in Project Management (PDCPM)
- Professional Development Certificate in Technology (PDCT)
Graduate Certificate Programs
- Certificate in Advanced Addiction Studies (CPAAS)
- Certificate in Financial Management (CBFM)
- Certificate in Strategic Leadership (CBSL)
- Certificate in Healthcare Services (CPHCS)
- Certificate in Human Resources Management (CBHR)
- Certificate in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (CPIOP)
- Certificate in International Business (CBIB)
- Certificate in Management (CBM)
- Certificate in Pastoral Counseling (CPPC)
- Certificate in Project Management (CBPM)
- Certificate in Sport Psychology (CPSP)
*not currently accepting enrollments
Average Program Tuition/Cost per Credit Hour
- Undergraduate Degree $425
- Graduate Degree $545
- Note: The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree program has an average program tuition/cost per credit hour of $395.
We value your right to privacy of information. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of learner records.
California Southern University welcomes all adult learners and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, or sexual orientation in its policies, practices, or procedures involving applicants, learners, faculty, staff, and the public. Please note, however, that California Southern University reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone California Southern University believes does not meet its academic standards.
Admission Requirements and Procedures
California Southern University offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degrees and certificate programs designed to meet the needs of adult learners. Meeting the admission requirements is an indicator that a learner is qualified to enter and complete a degree program. However, California Southern University emphasizes that success in completing degree requirements is dependent on a learner’s commitment to the educational process.
California Southern University may accept semester credits in transfer toward degree programs for coursework completed at appropriately accredited postsecondary institutions. Appropriately accredited postsecondary institutions are defined as those accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, or by an accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or, for non-U.S. institutions, an educational institution approved by an equivalent authority.
For additional information about CalSouthern policies and procedures, please contact us.