We are happy to welcome you to the inaugural edition of the Clinicians’ Corner. My name is Kathleen Hawks and for those of you who don’t know me yet, I am an academic advisor in the School of Behavioral Sciences here at CalSouthern.
Many of our learners, alumni and faculty in the School of Behavioral Sciences are either licensed or on the path to licensure as MFTs, LPCCs, or clinical psychologists. I have so much clinically relevant information crossing my desk on a regular basis—information of potentially great interest to you. I want to pass it along to you and have created the Clinicians’ Corner as a venue for doing just that. With each new edition of the CalSouthern Sun, this will be the place to stay “in the loop” of any clinically oriented news. Enjoy!
- Each learner in the MA and PsyD degree programs is required to complete a personal therapy requirement before beginning their practicum. Occasionally, clinicians approach me to offer services on a sliding scale for individuals in their areas. I have two new ones:
Ann Worley, MFT is available in Laguna Hills, CA
James Sanders, MFT is available in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
- Our Practicum Spotlight for this issue is Laura’s House. Laura’s House is the only state-approved comprehensive domestic violence agency in South Orange County, California. Services provided include emergency shelter, support, education and counseling. Please refer to their website at www.laurashouse.org for additional information and to get involved.
- Check out this terrific offer for alumni: List your practice with Psychology Today for six months, at no charge! Click here for details.
- Networking, workshops, referrals and tons of information await you at AAMFT. The American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy is a membership organization serving MFTs nationwide. Go to www.aamft.org for information and be sure to go to the “directories” link to find your state chapter.
- Another excellent opportunity: The Milton H. Erickson Foundation is recruiting volunteers for the upcoming Couples Conference, April 19-21, 2013. This offer is open to graduate students, interns and other clinical professionals with financial limitations. An application and complete details can be found at www.couplesconference.com/volunteer.
- Faculty mentor Dr. Wendy Nickerson is looking to provide supervision for one doctoral student in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Anyone interested in providing chronic pain management, within both an individual and group format, please contact her at www.drwendynickerson.com.
- CalSouthern Master Lecture Series presenter Esther Perel recently appeared on “Ted Talk” to continue her discussion on intimacy and the relationship between love and lust. You can view her appearance here. You can also view her Master Lecture Series presentation on demand in the content section on the CalSouthern website.
Please look for the next installment of the Clinicians’ Corner in the May/June issue of the CalSouthern Sun.