Clinicians’ Corner: Timely News and Information from the School of Behavioral Sciences
Jun 6, 2014
Kathleen Hawks, MS
Welcome back to the Clinicians’ Corner! I am Kathleen Hawks, academic advisor for the CalSouthern School of Behavioral Sciences.
Each installment of the Clinicians’ Corner highlights clinically relevant news of interest to School of Behavioral Sciences learners, faculty and alumni. So come here to stay “in the loop” for any clinically oriented information.
- The 50th Annual California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) Conference was truly extraordinary. The workshops were extremely informative and compelling, and the location (beautiful Indian Wells, near Palm Springs in the California desert) was spectacular. As it does every year, the conference provided a great opportunity to spend time with other professionals, learners and alumni; it is always gratifying to hear of the contributions our graduates are making in their communities and to the profession at large, and also to see the strides our learners are taking. The annual Educators’ Luncheon was very fruitful, as well.I was privileged to spend some time with MA learner Cyndi Degryse. She was so eloquent in her comments at the conference that I suggested she put them in writing and submit the article to the CalSouthern Sun online magazine. Be sure to check out her guest column.
Regardless of where you are in your educational journey, I highly recommend attending next year’s conference. It will be held in San Francisco in May 2015. For those of you located in other states, be sure to contact your local chapter of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) for their upcoming conferences and workshops.
- Many of you may not know, but organizations such as CAMFT offer scholarship and grant opportunities to applicants who benefit the MFT profession. Most deadlines are December 31, 2014. For more information on these opportunities, please visit www.camft.org.
- We have two fantastic Master Lecture Series events coming this summer. Dr. Craig Childress will be presenting on “The Parental Alienation Syndrome” July 18, and Dr. Jeffrey Zeig will return to present “The Evolution of Psychotherapy” on August 15. There are two lectures you will not want to miss! This will be the fourth Master Lecture Series presentation for Dr. Zeig (a CalSouthern “Distinguished Professor”). He is a world-renowned speaker and a brilliant clinician; this is an invaluable opportunity to hear him lecture and to personally ask him questions.
View all of his past lectures and the rest of our archived presentations, and register to attend upcoming events live on campus or via real-time webinar at www.calsouthern.edu/content/psychology-lectures.
- Preliminary information was recently released regarding the 2014-2015 MFT Student Educational Stipend. Recipients will be chosen from each county/region in California to earn $18,500 for a one-year commitment to work in community mental health care settings. The application deadline will be October 8, 2014 and anyone slated to graduate from the MA degree program between September 2014 and August 31, 2015 is eligible to apply. Those who are fluent in Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean or Arabic are especially needed. Stay tuned for additional information.
- Faculty mentor Dr. Jacquie Lewis has written a book titled Weaving Dreams into the Classroom: Practical Ideas for Teaching about Dreams and Dreaming at Every Grade Level, Including Adult Education. It’s available at Amazon.com and other booksellers. This is another reminder of how accomplished our faculty is. Congratulations, Dr. Lewis—we are proud of you!
- Have you ever thought about forming a study group in your area? CalSouthern supports these efforts and would be happy to assist you in setting one up in your region. Please contact your academic advisor if you are interested.
- Have you had an exceptional experience at your practicum or intern placement that you would like to share with others? Please ask your placement for permission, and then email me the information for possible inclusion in an upcoming issue of the CalSouthern Sun!