MBA with a Concentration in Financial Management
Hone Your Online MBA With a Concentration in Financial Management
Executives specializing in financial management inform and make some of the most crucial decisions impacting businesses of all sizes and in all markets. Business leaders with a master’s degree in finance may specialize in such mission-critical areas as financial risk management, investment analysis, corporate restructuring, and mergers and acquisitions.
CalSouthern’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) program will help you develop the leadership and management skills required by today’s fast-moving, global business world. It’s a well-rounded program that combines the most advanced academic theories and concepts with practical, real-world experience taught by faculty who are themselves leaders in the business community. And by integrating courses in corporate finance, investment management, financial institutions, capital markets, and behavioral corporate finance, you can supplement your comprehensive knowledge of essential business concepts with a focus on financial management. It’s a great way to equip yourself with a highly specialized and valuable skill set that will help you distinguish yourself in a competitive marketplace.
The CalSouthern online MBA degree program is ideal for working adults—you’ll be able to study at your own pace, as fast or slow as your busy schedule permits. You’ll be able to earn your degree without compromising your work and family obligations, on your own time and in the comfort of your own home, and with the constant support of CalSouthern faculty, administration, and staff.
At CalSouthern, you’ll be mentored one-on-one by faculty who are leaders in their fields. They will blend academic theory with real-world business applications, recognizing your specific interests and learning styles, as you analyze business data to develop solutions to actual business issues. You’ll also have the opportunity to further enhance your educational experience by engaging with other like-minded Learners from across the U.S. and around the world.
CalSouthern, an innovator in distance learning since 1978, is a respected institution that not only provides flexible learning solutions for graduate-level students, but which also adheres to the highest ethical and academic standards. With an MBA degree and a concentration in financial management from CalSouthern, you’ll step into the professional world with a robust business education that is both well-rounded and specialized, a network of colleagues, and the assurance that your degree has pointed you in the right direction for success and opportunity.
Financial Management Courses
FIN 87518 Behavioral Corporate Finance
The Behavioral Corporate Finance course explains how psychology impacts the decisions and judgments of corporate managers regarding valuation, capital budgeting, real options, capital structure, payouts, corporate governance, and mergers and acquisitions. The main psychological phenomena are heuristics and biases, framing effects, and affect. Behavioral Corporate Finance identifies the key psychological obstacles to value maximizing behavior, along with steps that managers can take to mitigate the effects of these obstacles. The main goal of the course is to help students learn how to put the traditional tools of corporate finance to their best use, and mitigate the effects of psychological obstacles that reduce value.Learning Outcomes:
- Identify a number of behavioral factors that systematically influence financial markets.
- Distinguish between the remedies appropriate to agency conflicts and the remedies appropriate to behavioral biases.
- Analyze how representativeness leads managers, investors, and market strategists to form biases judgments about the market risk premium.
- Describe heuristics that mangers use to set the dividend policies of their firms.
- Identify the properties and characteristics of empirical data pointing to the presence of behavioral phenomena.
- Explain why groupthink, poor information sharing, and inadequate motivation underlie suboptimal group decision when engaged in judgmental tasks.
- Be able to use single-handedly or provide advice and consultation to corporate executives with regards to behavioral factors and their possible influence onto company operations, reporting, etc.
- Use the press coverage measure and long holder measure to identify executives who are prone to engage in acquisitions.
- Be able to identify, locate and use the literature from both periodic sources and publications on the internet to aid in identifying the behavioral phenomena and finding suggested explanations and mechanisms for such phenomena in financial markets and corporate finance.
- Evaluate course concepts critically and competently through interaction with Learners and Faculty Mentor.