MBA With a Concentration in Healthcare Administration
Opportunities Abound Within This Growing, Fast-Evolving Field
The healthcare sector has experienced explosive growth in recent years, with many analysts—including those at the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics—projecting that the growth will continue through the decade. Reasons for the expansion include the aging of the baby boomer generation, changes in healthcare policy and, perhaps most exciting, technological advances that have driven new specializations such as healthcare informatics: the leveraging of healthcare-related data to improve the quality of care in a cost-effective manner.
CalSouthern’s Master of Business Administration with a concentration in healthcare administration is designed to provide the knowledge and practical skills required in this fast-evolving field. It features a cutting-edge curriculum that includes topics such as managing epidemiology, healthcare ethics and legal compliance, informatics, quality control and cultural competency in healthcare administration, among others.
It’s a curriculum from the very forefront of the profession, and it is pragmatic, as well. The courses have been carefully designed to address the issues and solutions healthcare professionals engage in each day, and to give students the knowledge and practical skills they need for managerial and directorial positions within the medical field.
As a student in CalSouthern’s MBA program, you will be mentored by a faculty comprised of dedicated educators who are also experienced professionals in the subjects they teach. With coursework delivered 100-percent online via CalSouthern’s proprietary learning platform, you’ll be able to study at your own pace and on your own schedule, without compromising your work and family lives.
But make no mistake, even though you’ll be doing your coursework remotely, you’ll never be alone. From the day you enroll, you will have a support team of faculty mentors, academic advisors, deans, administration and other professional staff who stand ready to give you all the guidance and support you need to successfully complete your degree program and achieve your personal and professional goals.
Healthcare Administration Courses
HCA 86800 Healthcare Administration
This course focuses on providing the student with a systematic understanding of 21st century healthcare leadership and administrative skills. Learners review new healthcare leadership skills relative to complex systems, the inter-relationships among key stakeholders in the industry, cultural diversity, creative and intuitive problem solving techniques, and corporate governance. Administrative topics concerning healing spaces and environments, culturally driven designs, “going green,” and innovative facility layouts are also covered.Learning Outcomes:
- Discuss leadership roles and complex systems in the healthcare profession.
- Explain the age dimensions and role of culture in healthcare leadership.
- Explore the work factors of innovative leadership in healthcare
- Explore the steps to innovative healthcare, design thinking, and challenge statement.
- Explain innovation strategic map, divergence tools, and designing prototypes.
- Discuss rapid cycle test and factors impacting rapid innovation.
- Define creative thinking and the thinking process.
- Apply tools of direct creativity, empathic thinking, and creative problem solving.
- Explore the concepts of trans-disciplinary learning, tangible outcomes, and innovation space.
- Explain entrepreneurship, value creation, and the process model.
- Explore the role of strategic planning and Launch Pad methodology.
- Discuss the standard business plan and product management process.
- Evaluate the EBP paradigm and its seven (7) steps, plus, the PICOT.
- Discuss intervention questions and sources of internal evidence.
- Explore EBP cultural innovations and key components of the EBP mentor.
- Discussion Leonard’s characteristics, open system, and the “1+1” concept.
- Explain complex adaptive systems and WSSG framework.
- Explore two types of WSSG teams and diffusion of innovation.
- Discuss design process steps, healing experience, and attributes in the healing environment.
- Discuss the 10 principles for healing to occur, patient-center and relationship-based care.
- Review innovations in green design and innovative leaderships for healthcare facility design.
- Discuss intuitive thinking and “stretching the brain” for innovative insight.
- Explain reflections, contemplation, mediation, and meaning.
- Introduce self and explain course expectations.
- Integrate the course concepts through interaction with other Learners and your Mentor.
- Approval of student’s topic for their Final Research Paper.
- Start your topic research and preparatory work on your paper.
- Evaluate the information critically and competently.
- Allow the student to elaborate and expand their knowledge on an area of interest discussed during the course.
- Provide the student an opportunity to research a healthcare leadership or administrative concept to expand their knowledge of the healthcare profession.