BBA with a Concentration in Leadership
Whether you’re an entrepreneur who’s launched a small business or a c-level executive of a Fortune 500 organization, your leadership skills will largely determine your—and your company’s—success. While strong managers are able to effectively direct a team to execute a vision, the best leaders are true innovators who create the vision and are the force that enables the team to perform. They lead people through effective and often inspirational communication. Perhaps most important, they develop talent, aligning people’s needs, talents and passions with the mission of the organization.
CalSouthern’s Bachelor of Business Administration with a concentration in leadership combines a well-rounded, foundational education in business administration with specialized courses designed to instil and enhance these critical leadership skills. The six courses (five are required to establish the concentration) focus on leadership fundamentals, written, verbal and non-verbal communication skills, group dynamics and best practices in project-oriented leadership.
It’s an innovative program that’s perfectly suited for today’s fast-changing, technology-driven and increasingly globalized business world. Faculty—experienced business professionals as well as highly credentialed educators—will work with you one-on-one to help you learn to apply current business theory to solve real-world business challenges.
Students in the BBA program are provided Microsoft Office 365 at no additional charge, giving them access to Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and other popular Microsoft Office applications. Since it’s a cloud-based solution, students can access these applications at any time, from virtually any device—all that’s needed is an Internet connection. Not only is it a great academic resource that will help students more efficiently complete their coursework, it’s a great opportunity to develop expertise and familiarity with the world’s most widely used business software.
LDR 2100 Foundations of Leadership
Leadership is a combination of human behavior, business skills, social functions, and group interaction. This course provides the necessary tools, concepts, and skills that are important to the role of leadership development. The student learns based on both a theoretical foundation, as well as, from learning exercises, which help personalize the subject matter. The focus of this course is for the student to develop their full potential as a leader, and become the type of leader others will admire and want to emulate.Learning Outcomes:
- Distinguish between leadership trait and behavior theories.
- Explain how to create leadership vision.
- Demonstrate how to motivate employees in a company.
- Identify the five principles of leadership that empower people.
- Define the principles of empowerment and the 14 Deming points.
- Explain how personality change over time affects leadership.
- Explain performance management and performance reviews.
- Summarize the principles for effective discipline and corrective action.
- Assess how to improve future leadership growth characteristics ensuring human relations skills.
- Evaluate course concepts critically and competently through interaction with Learners and Faculty Mentor.
- Practices ethical behavior in regard to information and information technology.