MBA with a Concentration in Project Management
Take Advantage of a Business Trend With an MBA and a Concentration in Project Management
CalSouthern’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in project management is a versatile degree that’s perfectly suited to today’s business landscape. With more and more businesses organizing themselves along a project-based model, a comprehensive understanding of this discipline and an online project management degree can be valuable tools to set yourself apart in today’s competitive marketplace. Skilled project managers are increasingly in demand, across industries and across borders.
Factors like downsizing, outsourcing, and accelerated rates of change and product development are leading traditional businesses to transition into project-oriented organizations. CalSouthern can prepare you to take advantage of this trend. By supplementing your online MBA degree program with elective courses in areas such as project management organization, integration, and strategic design, among others, you can earn an MBA with a concentration in project management.
CalSouthern’s online MBA program is designed to provide the skills required by the 21st century business world, while meeting the demands and providing the necessary flexibility for today’s mature, working student. The university’s proprietary learning system is 100-percent online, so you can work at your own pace without compromising your family life or your work obligations.
When you pursue your online MBA degree at CalSouthern, you’ll be guided by Faculty Mentors who are not only talented and responsive online instructors, but who are also business leaders in their respective fields. They will combine the latest academic theory with real-world business experience to help you apply the concepts to actual business scenarios—developing the precise proficiencies you’ll need to succeed in today’s fast-moving marketplace, including project management skills such as new product development, project scope assessment, resource allocation, and team building and management. You’ll work with them on a one-to-one basis, which gives them an opportunity to get to know your individual learning style and to work with your specific interests and business experience.
In a competitive marketplace, you have to do everything you can to make sure that the skills and knowledge you develop correspond to real needs arising in today’s business landscape. With more and more companies following the trend toward project-focused business models, an online project management degree can give you every opportunity for success.
Project Management Courses
PM 86900 Project Management Concepts and Essentials
This course is organized around the various concepts and essentials discussed in the PMBOK, plus it helps to prepare the student to take the PMP and CAPM certification exams through the Project Management Institute (PMI). Special attention is given to the triple constraints composed of project planning or scope, project budgeting, and project scheduling. Also, the importance of allocating resources is discussed, plus, the proper methods for monitoring, controlling, and evaluating project tasks and deliverables.Learning Outcomes:
- Explain the basic differences between a project, non-project, and program.
- Describe various approaches to project management and importance of flexibility.
- Assess different methods for dealing with conflicts.
- Explain the use of master project plans and the benefits of using a template project action plan.
- Describe the importance of multidisciplinary teams for projects.
- Explain how to develop a project budget and the risks associated with it.
- Explain critical path management.
- Describe the use of PERT/CPM, Gantt charts, and GERT in project management design.
- Explain the importance of proper resources allocation for a project.
- Evaluate the six major areas covered in the PMBOK.
- Evaluate course concepts critically and competently through interaction with Learners and Faculty Mentor.
- Practice ethical behavior in regard to information and information technology.