Start by taking a single course
At CalSouthern, you have the option of enrolling in a course without committing to a degree program. It’s a fantastic way to get a feel for the CalSouthern online learning experience before enrolling. You can apply the credits you earn to a CalSouthern bachelor’s degree program, or, since CalSouthern is regionally accredited, the credits are readily transferable into a bachelor’s program at another institution, as well.* Or, maybe you simply want to gain college-level knowledge and expertise in a topic area of interest to you.
Choose from any of the undergraduate courses in CalSouthern’s School of Business. A vast selection of subjects are available, on topics as diverse as business communication, marketing, finance, human resources and international business.
Getting started is quick and easy. No entrance exams are required and you don’t have to provide official transcripts. Courses start every month and you’ll never encounter a closed course or waiting list!
*Although credits from regionally accredited institutions like CalSouthern are readily accepted by other universities, acceptance is at the discretion of the receiving institution.
Undergraduate Business Courses
MKT 2106 Advertising
This introductory course surveys the field of advertising and studies how it fits into society. It introduces Learners to the principles and practices of contemporary advertising. We will use fundamental advertising decision processes that include: strategy, goals, budgeting, messages, media and effectiveness to explore the elements of successful advertisement, advertising promotion and tasks accomplished by media professionals.Learning Outcomes:
- Define advertising and differentiate it from other forms of marketing communications.
- Discuss the impact of advertising on the economy.
- Describe the various groups in the advertising business and explain their relationship to one another.
- Identify the various methods advertisers use to segment and aggregate consumer and business markets
- Outline the consumer perception process.
- Explain the basic steps in the research process.
- Explain the difference between objectives, strategies, and tactics in marketing and advertising plans.
- Explain the role of the creative strategy and its principal elements.
- Describe the roles of the various types of artists in the advertising business.
- Explain the major types of digital media and their evolving role in advertising.
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of magazine advertising.
- Evaluate the different types of television advertising available.
- Discuss the various opportunities and challenges presented by digital interactive media.
- Describe the types of standard outdoor advertising structures
- Describe how a media plan helps accomplish a company’s marketing objectives.
- Define direct marketing and discuss its role in IMC
- Integrate the course concepts through interaction with other Learners and your Mentor.
- Introduce self and explain course expectations.
- Access information efficiently and effectively.
- Evaluate information critically and competently.
- Practices ethical behavior in regard to information and information technology.