MS in Psychology with a Concentration in Alcoholism and Chemical Dependency
Responding to a Societal Need: the MS in Psychology Degree With an Emphasis on Alcoholism and Chemical Dependency
Unfortunately, addiction and compulsive disorders continue to plague our society, taking an increasing personal and societal toll. Experts in the diagnosis and treatment of these conditions are in demand. CalSouthern’s online Master of Science (MS) in psychology degree with an emphasis on alcoholism and chemical dependency is a great degree program choice for those interested in treating individuals suffering from a variety of chemical dependency and compulsive disorder issues, including drug and alcohol addiction, eating disorders, gambling and sexual compulsive disorders, and many others. In addition to learning the latest detection methods and treatments for individuals, Learners will develop family therapy techniques to treat spouses, children, and others affected by these conditions.
CalSouthern’s online MS in psychology degree can lead to career advancement for those already practicing in the mental health field, and can serve as a path to CalSouthern’s doctoral degree program and eventual licensure as a clinical psychologist. By complementing your MS in psychology with an emphasis on chemical dependency and compulsive disorders by taking courses in subjects ranging from diagnosis and treatment and family systems to dual diagnoses and eating disorders, Learners can put themselves on the fast track to employment in what is one of the most rapidly growing fields in psychology.
CalSouthern’s curriculum in the MS with an emphasis on alcoholism and chemical dependency degree program has been developed and is taught by faculty members who are both gifted professors as well as experienced clinicians with direct experience in the specific field. They will be your personal mentors as you progress through your degree program, helping you learn to evaluate information more critically and effectively, refine your research skills, and develop practical experience in a non-clinical setting.
Since the MS in psychology with an emphasis on alcoholism and chemical dependency is a online degree program, you can complete your coursework on your own time and at your own pace, all while maintaining your family and work obligations. And as soon as you enroll, you’ll become a part of the CalSouthern community, with a dedicated and responsive faculty that are eager to give you all the tools and support you need to meet your educational and career goals.
Chemical Dependency Courses
PSY 86511A Substance Use and Related Disorders
- Evaluate course concepts critically and competently through interaction with Learners and Faculty Mentor
- Integrate course concepts through the use of the Taylor Study Method
- Recognize the neurobiological and genetic components of addiction
- Analyze current theories of the etiology of the chemical addictions and process addictions
- Construct and justify diagnosis, interventions and treatment plans
- Apply current research on evidence based assessment and treatment of addiction
- Consider the legal/ethical and cultural aspects related to addiction
- Evaluate and incorporate emerging relevant technologies applicable to the field of psychology
- Analyze and evaluate information critically and effectively
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in regard to emerging relevant technologies applicable to psychology