MS in Psychology with a Concentration in General Psychology
The MS With an Emphasis on General Psychology: CalSouthern’s Most Well-Rounded Master’s Degree
CalSouthern’s Master of Science (MS) in psychology with an emphasis on general psychology is an excellent choice for anyone seeking the most broad, well-rounded master’s-level psychology program. It’s also a preferred degree—and solid academic foundation—for Learners who are looking to move on to a doctoral degree such as that offered in CalSouthern’s PsyD program.
The MS with an emphasis on general psychology also offers Learners the greatest variety of elective courses. You’ll supplement your core classes in subjects such as group psychology, social psychology, and psychopathology with five elective courses from a diverse selection including human sexuality, psychopharmacology, cognitive behavioral psychotherapy, and positive psychology.
The faculty in CalSouthern’s School of Behavioral Sciences is comprised of talented and accomplished mental health providers who are also gifted educators, experienced in teaching via CalSouthern’s proprietary online learning platform. They’ll take the time to get to know you, integrating academic learning with your personal experience so that your degree program becomes more meaningful and more relevant to your particular academic and career goals.
Please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with the MS program with an emphasis in general psychology: review the course descriptions, peruse a few profiles of our accomplished alumni, and read the bios of some of the faculty and administration who will be your responsive and dedicated support system once you enroll. We know that the more you learn about CalSouthern’s School of Behavioral Sciences, the more you’ll realize that it’s the right choice for your master’s degree program.
General Psychology Courses
PSY 87550 Positive Psychology
Positive psychology has recently been established to promote the scientific study of human strengths and virtues. This course will examine human behavior that is effective, valuable, and that contributes positively to personal growth and global enrichment. Topics covered include theoretical approaches to personality growth and self-actualization, the biology of positive emotions, and subjective well-being. The course will also explore peak performance, love and intimacy, mindfulness, creativity, and interventions for enhanced wellness, among other topics.Learning Outcomes:
- Evaluate course concepts critically and competently through interaction with Learners and Faculty Mentor
- Integrate course concepts through the use of the Taylor Study Method
- Integrate the current research on the neuropsychology of positive emotions
- Illustrate the clinical significance of culture, diversity and legal/ethical issues
- Distinguish between factors related to job satisfaction or self-actualization in the workplace
- Speculate how aesthetics, creativity, and mindfulness are interrelated
- Consider how religion and spirituality can contribute to a sense of well-being and happiness, across the lifespan.
- Evaluate and incorporate emerging relevant technologies applicable to the field of psychology
- Analyze and evaluate information critically and effectively
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in regard to information and information technology