MS in Psychology with a Concentration in Sports Psychology
Prepare for an Exciting and Rewarding Career With CalSouthern’s Sports Psychology Program
Although sports psychology is a relatively new field, it’s a growing specialty that offers a wealth of diverse, exciting, and rewarding job opportunities. Sports psychologists not only apply psychological techniques to enhance athletes’ performance, they also explore ways in which exercise can improve their clients’ mental health. And now, by taking specialized online sports psychology courses, Learners at CalSouthern can earn a Master of Science (MS) in psychology with an emphasis on sports psychology.
Written by a specialist in the field, the curriculum of this sports psychology program is comprised of five three-credit courses covering topics such as the psychology of coaching, motivation, imagery, preparation for athletic performance, and other emerging issues. You’ll take these courses in addition to required core courses designed to give you a well-rounded, graduate-level foundation in psychology.
Like all Learners in CalSouthern’s School of Behavioral Sciences, you’ll benefit from the accessibility, responsiveness, and personalized support that sets CalSouthern apart from other schools. From the day you enroll, you’ll be a part of a community of faculty, administration, and staff that measures their performance by your satisfaction and success. In addition, since the program’s coursework is online, you can study at your own pace, without compromising your work obligations or family life.
Sport Psychology Courses
PSY 87110 Current Issues in Sport Psychology
This course explores the sociology of sport, as well as the ethical issues surrounding sport. It includes an examination of good sportsmanship, fair play and cheating, performance-enhancing drugs, a review of gender equity and identity in modern-day sports, animal rights in sports, violence in sports, and the negative aspects of competitive youth sports.Learning Outcomes:
- Evaluate course concepts critically and competently through interaction with Learners and Faculty Mentor
- Integrate course concepts through the use of the Taylor Study Method
- Understand Respect for Opponent, teammates, Officials, games, and coaches
- Analyze the ethical decisions made in participation of sports
- Understand how culture effects different sports
- Evaluate issues of gender equity and gender identity in sports
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in regard to emerging relevant technologies applicable to psychology