Institutional State Licensure

California Southern University is a private university approved to operate by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. The University was founded in 1978, licensed under the name Southern California University for Professional Studies (SCUPS), and has been continuously approved by the State of California to offer undergraduate and graduate level degrees and certificates. Any questions that a learner may have, which have not been satisfactorily answered by the institution may be directed to:

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
2535 Capital Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: (888) 370 7589 | Fax: (916) 263 1897 |

Certain states require specific language as noted below:

If a grievance cannot be resolved by following the CalSouthern Grievance Procedures, and the learner resides outside of the State of California, learners may contact their respective state agency. Click here to access each state agency’s contact information.


Filing a Complaint with the Office of Higher Education

Before contacting the Office of Higher Education, you must first exhaust the school’s internal grievance or complaint procedures. These policies are usually published in the institution’s catalog, student handbook, and/or posted on the institution’s website.
Once you have pursued your concerns using the institution’s dispute resolution procedures, and have not reached a mutually agreeable resolution, you may proceed with filing a formal complaint with the Office of Higher Education. To do so, complete an Initial Review Form and send it to or mail it to the address at the top of the form.


The Commission requires that students utilize and complete their institution’s grievance procedure in an attempt to resolve any complain or concerns before submitting a complaint to the Commission. If the institution’s resolution is not satisfactory, a student may then appeal to the Commission, but it will not investigate a complaint unless the student has exhausted all available grievance procedures outlined by the institution.

2082 East Exchange Place, Suite 220
Tucker, GA 30084-5305 | 770.414.3300


California Southern University is registered with the Maryland Higher Education Commission.

New York:

The Office of College and University Evaluation will not review a complaint until all grievance procedures at the institution have been followed and all avenues of appeal exhausted and documentation provided that such procedures have been exhausted.

Please note: Every New York State college and the university are required to establish, publish, and enforce explicit policies related to redress of grievances.

Please do not send a complain to the Office of College and University Evaluation until you have read all of the information below. This will assure that you are sending your complaint to the appropriate agency/office.

The Office of College and University Evaluation handles only those complaints that concern educational programs or practices of degree-granting institutions subject to the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, with the exceptions, noted below.

  • The Office does not handle anonymous complaints.
  • The Office does not intervene in matters concerning an individual’s grades or examination results, as these are the prerogative of the college’s faculty.
  •  The Office does not handle complaints concerning actions that have occurred more than five years ago.
  • The Office does not intervene in matters that are or have been in litigation.
  • Complaints concerning programs in fields leading to professional licensure (e.g., nursing) should be directed to:
    Office of the Professions
    Professional Education Program Review
    Education Building, 2 West
    Albany, NY 12234
    A complaint of consumer fraud on the part of the institution should be directed to the Office of the New York State Attorney General, Justice Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12223.
    Complainants should be aware that the Office of College and University Evaluation does not conduct a judicial investigation and has no legal authority to require a college or university to comply with a complainant’s request.
    If your complaint does not fall into one of the exceptions notes above, click here for the Office of College and University Evaluation Complaint Form.


California Southern University is not regulated in Texas under Chapter 132 of the Texas Education Code. The California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) approves and regulates California Southern University’s programs. Learners who wish to file a complaint or make other contact with the BPPE should contact the BPPE at or by calling 888.370.7589.

To file a complaint with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB):

After exhausting CalSouthern’s grievance/complaint process, current, former, and prospective students may initiate a complaint with THECB by submitting the required forms along with evidence of their completion of CalSouthern’s complaint procedures. Complaints may be submitted to the THECB using one of the following three options: 1) completing the online student complaint form and uploading the required supporting documentation in Portable Document Format (PDF); 2) sending the required Student Complaint and Release Forms and supporting documentation as PDF attachments by email to; or 3) Mailing printed forms and documentation to the following:

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Office of General Counsel
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, Texas 78711-2788

For more information on filing a complaint with the THECB please visit the THECB website at:

The web address for the rules governing student complaints, Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.110-1.120, is:$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=5&ti=19&pt=1&ch=1&sch=E&rl=Y


Before submitting a complaint form, please note the following:

If a complaint is within WSAC’s jurisdiction, a student must provide documentation that he/she has completed the school’s complaint process – including any provisions for appeal.

WSAC cannot investigate complaints regarding grades, disciplinary actions, or conduct unless a student can provide evidence that the school has not followed published procedures or policies.

WSAC will not accept anonymous complaints or complaints that are currently in litigation.

Be advised that copies of complaints will be made available to the school involved and may be made available to other federal, state, or private agencies, and—upon request—to members of the public.

  • Your Education Starts Here

    Fill out the form below to take the first step

  • Back to Top